For A Free Consultation Call

Stamford, CT 203-977-2415

White Plains, NY 914-946-2777

Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney

What happens if I’m arrested for driving under the influence?

Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is considered a criminal offense, according to the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Upon your arrest, law enforcement will have your car towed to an impound, as you will not be allowed to drive it. You will be taken to the local station, officers will read you your rights and you will be placed in a cell until you are able to see the judge. If you have refused to take a chemical test, then officers could obtain a warrant. If this occurs, you might be brought to a local hospital first for a blood test before you are transported to the jail.

While you are waiting in the cell, the authorities will determine the types of charges that will be filed against you and the administrative action. If your BAC level is .08 or higher, you are considered legally intoxicated (.02 or greater if you are under the age of 21). However, even if authorities do not gather direct evidence of your blood alcohol concentration level, you can still be prosecuted.

After you are officially charged with drunk driving, your arrest report will be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles, which will suspend your driver’s license. License suspensions are separate from any court-imposed penalties and are based on details provided in the arrest report. You will also be allowed to see the judge where bail will be set and it will be your responsibility to make the payment or to obtain a bail bond to cover the amount. Once you are out of custody and you are deemed sober, you can re-claim your vehicle but you will have to pay for the towing cost first, and someone else will need to drive it home. All drunk driving suspensions in the state result in the mandatory use of ignition interlock devices so before you are allowed to legally drive again, you will need to pay for the installation of the device in your vehicle.

This post was put together for general informational purposes and is not to be taken as legal advice.

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network